One of the most common responses we get when we talk to people about traveling is that they are not financially able to make it work. Being able to afford to travel comes down to shifting priorities, putting in some effort, and having a little bit of patience. We have talked in our blogs before about how to save money, but sometimes you can't stretch your paycheck to put anything into that savings account.
So let's get proactive and take a different approach! Below are a few ways you can earn extra cash for travel! Some of these sites have created major results for us in the past; allowing us to supplement our incomes with money on the side. And because we were busy working, we didn't have time to spend frivolusly. Remember that earning extra money is all about the effort you put in! Set a goal and make it a challenge to watch that savings account fill up. All hail the side hustle!
5. PART TIME WORK:
This one may seem a little obvious, but bear with us. There are major perks to doing part time work like serving tables, babysitting, ride sharing or retail. Flexible scheduling and opportunities to work after regular office hours to start. There are many part time employers who are looking for people to fill busy evenings and weekends, even allowing as little as 8-10 hours a week, so it's easy to fit it in with your normal 9 to 5. The possibilities are almost endless. You can search for positions locally or there are multiple websites to get you started finding remote work.
- Care.com (highly recommended) - Child, Elder, Pet Care, Housekeeping
- Tutor.com - Tutoring multiple disciplines
- Uber or Lyft - Driving for ride sharing services
- TaskRabbit - Quick home repair and maintence jobs
- Snagajob.com - Hourly work in mutliple industries
- Indeed.com - Multiple Industries, thousands of industries
- Thumbtack - Customer driven requests for work
- Craigslist - Multiple Industries (local)
- Zirtual - Virtual Assistant & more
4. FREELANCE/CONTRACT WORK:
This kind of work means that you will work with a company for the duration of a project or set period of time. Depending on your skill set, there are hundreds of freelance websites with contract jobs ready for the taking. Many freelance opportunities can be completed in off-hours and from anywhere with an internet connection (so you could actually continue to work from the road if you chose). From writing to construction to accounting to design, there are openings in a great deal of industries. Each website is different, but most will require a little bit of work up front to create your profile, provide samples and portfolios, and begin to bid on jobs. Some websites will be more general, while others will focus on one particular category.
- Upwork (highly recommended) - Multiple Industries (work required to be completed via computer/internet)
- Freelancer - Multiple Industries (work required to be completed via computer/internet)
- 99 Designs - Graphic Design
- Simply Hired - Very Broad Industries
- Freelance Writing Gigs - Content Creation, Copywriting, Blogging, etc.
- LinkedIn Profinder - Multiple Industries
- People Per Hour - Designers
- Toptal - Software Engineering & Digital Designers (work with top tier companies)
- Transcribe Me - Transcribing audio on video
- Rev.com - Transcription, Captioning, Subtitles, Translation
- Clickworker - Data Entry, Web Research
3. SELL GENTLY USED CLOTHING & HOUSEHOLD ITEMS:
There are multiple apps and websites that help you easily ditch items in your house that can make you money (and that you probably want to get rid of anyways)! We love this concept because downsizing and simplifying not only can make you cash, it will help you organize your life and make traveling easier in general. Less stuff means less responsibility and more freedom to do what you please! There are so many apps and websites available now that essentially make everyday a garage sale! You simply snap a photo of the item with your phone, provide a description, and set a price! Remember that good lighting and clear photos make items sell quicker!
- Poshmark (highly recommended) - Sell gently used clothing using just your smart phone
- Letgo - Sell used stuff
- Swappa - Sell gently used mobile devices
- Plato's Closet -Sell used clothing at their location
- Buffalo Exchange - Sell used clothing at their location
- Facebook Marketplace - Easy to sell items to people in your area
- Craigslist - Easy to sell items to people in your area
2. CREATE SOMETHING NEW:
Whether it's handmade goods, a practical new invention, artwork, or some unique crafts, there are plenty of marketplaces to sell for cash. Depending on your long term goals, you can make your jump into retail as simple or complex as you'd like; you can use marketplace apps or create an e-commerce site for your goods. Make sure you leverage periods of time around holidays when people are looking for gifts to buy!
- Etsy (highly recommended) - Marketplace for handmade and vintage goods, and supplies
- Society6 - Sell artwork and designs and apply it to multiple products that the website sells
- Amazon Handmade - Marketplace for handmade goods
- Weebly - Create your own online store to sell your goods
1. UTILIZE WE MUST DASH'S REFERRAL PROGRAM:
Not to sing our own praises, but if you want to earn cash for traveling, our referral program is super easy and straightforward. Anyone who uses your name in the referral box at the time of booking will earn you $50 in cash, or in credit you can use toward one of our group trips. Once we receive their deposit with your name on it, we contact you and send you your money via PayPal. The best part is, we're not the only company offering programs like this. You can make extra cash and/or earn free products by simply being a brand ambassador for your favorite products and services! You can read the articles below to take advantage of more of these opportunities:
- Over 100 Websites that Pay You to Refer Friends
- 51 Best Referral Programs of 2016
- 30 Companies That Pay You To Spread The Word
- 18 Companies That Give Referral Bonuses
OTHER WAYS TO MAKE CASH:
When you're trying to make side hustles work, the key is creativity. Here are a few more options that you can earn you extra money:
- Become university campus brand ambassador
- Participate in research and medical studies (search in your area)
- Sell your unwanted gift cards for cash (or here, or here)
- Become a secret shopper
- Consider investing your spare change
- Review website's user-friendliness by testing websites while drunk
- Take surveys for compensation
- Write content for websites
- Open cash-back credit cards
- Sell stock photos & video (or here, or here, or here)
- Create a bottle & can collection at your work, school, or local establishment
ALSO, SUBSCRIBE TO SITES LIKE THE PENNYHOARDER & JOIN RELEVANT FACEBOOK GROUPS
Sites like The PennyHoarder are fantastic resources for tips and tricks for saving and spending wisely. We also find that joining Facebook groups (like Side Hustle Nation) based around savings and financial goals can help provide a daily reminder in your news feed of what others are doing to achieve goals similar to yours!